Boom, Belgium. "De Rupel" refers to the river near by the factory.
The glassworks was founded by 31 people in the year 1923
in the belgium village of Boom. In this village, close by Antwerp, some existing buildings were renovated and adapted to facilitate the production of glass. In 1924-1925 production was started with a focus on beer glasses, oil lamps, light bulbs and simple goblets.
In 1935 Paul Heller
joined the firm. He directed the company towards a more luxury line of products, consisting of large vases, bonbonnières and nicely decorated decanters. Particularly the black vases made in this period, define the identity of Boom glass till today. The company stayed in production during the 2nd world war and, after 1945
, quickly grew to around 400 employees.
a new designer was appointed by the name of Felix van Ransbeeck. He introduced new, more modern designs for the Boom glassworks, mostly mouth blown glass, which was made by Czech and Spanish laborers. With the introduction of machine produced glass and the increased import of cheap, foreign made glass, Boom had trouble competing.
The Boom factory transfered together with other Belgium glass factories Doyen, Manage and Boussu into a new glass company named Manuverbel
, but this cooperation hardly let to better prospects. In 1982
the factory was closed down.
Some examples of Boom glass: