Szklarska Poręba, Silesia (Poland).
Also known as Schreiberhau (german name).
Ruins of Josephinehütte (2011)
The history of Josephinenhütte starts in Poland (Silesia), in a village created by german colonists: Szklarska Poręba (Schreiberhau). In this village the glass maker Wolfgang Preussler, originally from neighbouring Bohemia, started a new glassworks in 1617
. Several generations later it was Franz Pohl, son-in-law of the last Preussler, who persuaded Count Schaffgotsch to establish a new glass factory in Szklarska Poreba. Thus the glassworks Jospehinenhütte was founded, on the 7th of july 1842
Almost one fifth of the people in Szklarska Poreba found employment in the local glassworks. In the second half of the nineteenth century the fame of glass produced here was already widespread and well deserved. Glass from the "Josephine" glassworks was not only exported to other European countries, but overseas as well. Decorated glass - polished or painted - enjoyed particular popularity, and local products are valuable exhibits in many museums and private glass collections.
In the year 1983
the Josephinenhütte was closed. The ruins are still standing in Szklarska Poreba. The local museum has quite a few items from the Josephinehütte in its collection.